Back to Year by Year Index click here

WairarapaRugbyLogoWairarapa Rugby Union
(Founded , 1886 ; Original Member NZRU )
Headquarters : Masterton
Colours: Green


Played 15 – Won 10* – Lost 5* – Pts For 347 – Pts Agst 338

*Note:- Subsequent appeal on the grounds of residential qualifications of one of the opposing side resulted in the Shield being returned to Wairarapa; in the meantime, however, Manawhenua had been successful in a provisional challenge, and the trophy was awarded to that Union.

1. June 3 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. HAWKES BAY (Ranfurly Shield Match #83) : At McLean Park, Napier

For Wairarapa:W. Yates, try
R.T. Cundy, 4 penalties.
For Hawke’s Bay:J.P. Swain, try
B.A. Grenside, 2 penalties and conversion.
Referee:H J. McKenzie (Wairarapa).

Although beaten a year earlier by the record score for a match in New Zealand, Wairarapa were back at McLean Park on King’s Birthday, Friday, 3 June, eager to retrieve their reputation.

The Bay supporters had come to regard their representatives as invincible and believed that even the gaps left could be filled by selector Norman McKenzie. But it was only the remnants of the famous sides of the past that was left, for six were making their first shield appearance. On the other hand, brother Ted McKenzie, Wairarapa selector, had the satisfaction of seeing the genius Bert Cooke, and Bill Irvine, fall into his net. As it happened Cooke’s dash and brilliance had much to do with the result. Irvine and Quentin Donald, 1924 All Black mates, hooked effectively with fellow 1924 player, Ian Harvey locking them. The weather conditions were perfect and 12,000 spectators were present. The first spell was all Wairarapa, although it was a grim struggle throughout. The challengers attacked at once, but Bert Grenside opened the scoring with a penalty goal. Rewi Cundy soon retaliated in kind, and then two minutes later, Cooke broke away, and passed to Yates who scored in the corner. 3-6. Two penalty goals by Cundy followed. 3-12. This was the halftime score. At halftime M. Brownlie and S. Gemmell changed places, as also did the Grenside brothers.

For a while the Bay seemed to be going much better, Morrie Brownlie leading his pack in great style, but the edge of the attack was gone. From halfway, Grenside kicked past Roach, Campbell picked up the ball and passed to Swain who scored between the posts. B. Grenside converted. 8-12. Then Grenside kicked a penalty. 11-12. Only one point down! The excitement was intense as the Bay strove to come back. Then Cundy kicked his fourth penalty. 11-15. The final stages were hectic with several stoppages for injuries, but Wairarapa held out and so ended Hawke’s Bay’s period of supremacy.

Hawke’s Bay: J. Seal; B. A. Grenside; J. M. Blake*, W. Bailey; GusCarlson, Nuku Grenside; T. G. Corkill*; S. W. Gemmell*t; E. Single,C. Campbell, M. J. Brownlie* (capt.), G. Conrad, C. J. Brownlie*, J. P.Swain, M. H. Strachan. .

Wairarapa: L. Roach; R. Booth, J. C. Stringfellow, W. Yates; A. E. Cooke*, R. T. Cundy; J. Hiroti; J. G. Donald*T (capt.); K. H. Reid,Seymour Willoughby, M. Parker, I. H. Harvey*, W. Reside, W. R.Irvine*, Q. Donald*.

The referee was Mr H. J. McKenzie of Carterton.

Article from the book “Ranfurly Shield History ” 1960 – by A.H.Carman

2. June 6 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. POVERTY BAY, at Gisborne
Won 20 to 17
C.Stringfellow (3), R.Booth and I.A.Hart, tries
R.T.Cundy, penalty goal and conversion.

3. June 22 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. BushRugbyLogo , at Pahiatua
Won 40 to 8
C.Stringfellow(3), W.Yates (2), A.E.Cooke, W.R.Irvine and J.Churchouse, tries
A.E.Cooke, dropped goal; R.T.Cundy, 6 conversions.

4. July 2 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. BushRugbyLogo (Ranfurly Shield Match #84): At Cameron and Soldiers Memorial Park, Masterton
For Wairarapa: A.E. Cooke (3), J.C. Stringfellow (2), W Yates (2), Randall Booth (2), R.T. Cundy, W.B. Reside, l.H. Harvey and Quentin Donald, tries
A.E. Cooke (5) and R.T. Cundy (2), conversions.
For Bush: C.B.Udy, penalty.
Referee:H.J. McKenzie (Wairarapa)

Wairarapa’s neighbours, Bush union, were allowed the first challenge, meeting the shield-holders at Cameron Memorial Park, Masterton. Wairarapa experienced little difficulty in defeating their opponents, scoring 13 tries to none.

Cooke (3), Stringfellow (2), Yates (2), R. Booth (2), Cundy, Reside, Harvey and Donald scored tries, Cooke converting 5 and Cundy converting 2. Udy kicked a penalty goal for Bush.

Wairarapa: The same team that had captured the shield, with the exception of Jimmy Donald who was absent in Australia. E. B. Booth replaced Donald and Bert Cooke became captain. Cundy retired early inn the game, L. Williams taking his place.

Bush: S. K. Siddells* (capt.); P. Ferguson, R. Biddle, F. Ware; P.Kelleher, B. Udy; L. Stubbs; J. Galvin ; D. Morrison, B. Harvey, T.Kerrison, S. Whitehead, F. Bowering, A. Small, J. Arnold. H. Wolland replaced Biddle at halftime, and the Bush veteran, B. Harvey, retired injured late in the match.

The referee was Mr H. J. McKenzie of Carterton.

Meanwhile Norman McKenzie had been busy scouring the country areas and sub-unions for talent capable of winning back the shield. Hawke’s Bay had a regular fixture with Wairarapa for the 9 July, and this had been accepted as a shield match. A week before the game Mr McKenzie placed 21 players into camp at Taradale, where they assembled on the Saturday evening and were to remain until the 19 selected traveled to Wairarapa the following Friday. Of the 21 players, seven backs and two forwards had never played in a shield match. On the Wednesday, thousands journeyed to Taradale to see a practice and on the Saturday, the crowds went to Masterton, In one of the special trains, which, en route, borrowed a black and white goat as a mascot.

Article from the book “Ranfurly Shield History ” 1960 – by A.H.Carman

5. July 9 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. HAWKES BAY (Ranfurly Shield Match 85) : At Solway Showgrounds Oval, Masterton
For Hawke’s Bay:W.J.Huxtable (2), W.P.Barclay and J.P.Swain, tries
B.A.Grenside, penalty and 3 conversions.
For Wairarapa: L.Roach and A.E.Cooke, tries
R.T.Cundy, 2 conversions.
Referee:H.J. McKenzie (Wairarapa)
Note:- Subsequent appeal on the grounds of residential qualifications of one of the opposing side resulted in the Shield being returned to Wairarapa; in the meantime, however, Manawhenua had been successful in a provisional challenge, and the trophy was awarded to that Union.

What a crowd at the Solway Showgrounds, Masterton 10,000, estimated to include 3,000 from the Bay. Remarkable interest was taken in the game, for it was recognised that Norman McKenzie had made a supreme effort to regain the shield. It was one of the hardest, fastest and most open games ever played for the shield. The pace was furious and the forward clashes full of vigour. Both XV’s were fit and no latitude was given. The weather was kind, with the ground on the heavy side. The gate was £1,400, a record for either union. So great was the energy displayed and the vigour of the attacks and defence, that stoppages lengthened the first spell to an hour. The Bay forwards had been attacking, when suddenly Roach fielded the ball near his own line, kicked high downfield, and bustled Corkill, booted the ball ahead, and then racing on, beat Grenside to dribble on and touch down between the posts for a remarkable try, which Cundy converted. 5-0. Back came the Bay forwards, play became even fiercer, and suddenly the whistle blew, and the referee ordered All Blacks M. J. Brownlie and Q. Donald off the field, apparently thinking that things were getting out of hand. However, if anything, the effects seemed to be redoubled. Grenside secured at halfway and with a dodgy run beat three men to hand on to S. Gemmell and Cyril Brownlie. The latter almost reached the line when he sent Huxtable across. B. Grenside made it 5-5 and halftime followed.

Wattie Barclay, who now captained the Bay, had played wing forward when Brownlie went, but now Sam Gemmell took over this position. B. Grenside landed a penalty goal. 5-8. Then the defenders scored again when from a scrum in midfield, the Bay got the ball, but Cundy suddenly intercepted a pass and broke clean through. He passed to the “wizard” Cooke as the fullback was reached, the try between the posts being converted by Cundy. 10-8. Twenty minutes remained and then the Bay staged its famous final rush. First it was Edwards who punted over the opponents’ heads, from a lineout. Barclay and S. Gemmell were first to the ball, the former dribbling across the line and touching down between the posts. Grenside converted. 10-13. Injuries were still frequent and the play hectic. Jim Donald had to retire, E. B. Booth replacing him. Back came the Bay with Cyril Brownlie playing an outstanding game. He was suddenly away in midfield, beat two men and handed on to Sam Gemmell who neared the line and sent Swain across. 10-16. A final forward attack, and S. Gemmell swerved through again and Huxtable got his second try. Bert Grenside converting. It was a magnificent victory and fully deserved. Yet all that is liable to be forgotten in the aftermath. It was fierce and strenuous, and has always since been referred to as “the Battle of Solway”. After the match, praises were lavished on the Bay. Most of the New Zealand Rugby “heads” were present and praised the Bay for their magnificent victory.

Wairarapa: The same XV that captured the shield at Napier except that W. Yates and K. H. Reid were replaced by I.A.Hart and K.Fairbrother.

Hawke’s Bay: T. G. Corkill; B. A. Grenside, J. M. Blake, W. Huxtable; W. P. Barclay, Eru Te Ngaio; R. Edwards; M. J. Brownlie (capt.); S. W. Gemmell, C. Campbell, C. J. Brownlie*, G. Conrad, R.Tankard, J. Gemmell, J. P. Swain.

The referee was Mr H. J. (Bert) McKenzie of Carterton.

Six of those who played on 3 June were discarded, and five of this XV were making their debut for Hawke’s Bay.

The New Zealand Maori team began a 12 match tour of the country this same date, Hawke’s Bay members of the side who had played shield Rugby being W. P. Barclay, E. Te Ngaio, John and Sam Gemmell. Three of the leading figures in this historic occasion were the three McKenzie brothers, Edward, Wairarapa selector; Herbert, the referee; and Norman, Hawke’s Bay selector.

It was five days later that the first hint of any trouble was heard. On 14 July the Wairarapa union decided to challenge the bona fides of Barclay in playing so soon after returning from Auckland. It was stated that the matter was raised before the match when Hawke’s Bay had given an assurance that he had complied with both union’s residential qualification, viz. fourteen days, and also that he had settled permanently in Hastings. It was now found that the rule governing Ranfurly Shield matches required at least twenty-one days’ residence. This was the basis of the appeal. The New Zealand union considered the appeal on 20 July, and two days later decided to uphold Wairarapa’s protest and to award the shield back to Wairarapa.

The Auckland union had submitted evidence that Barclay had played in three club matches in May and again on 11 June, and had left Auckland on 23 June. The motion carried was: “That whereas W. Barclay was a bona fide resident of Auckland until 23 June, having fulfilled the qualification necessary under that union’s rule No. 28, and whereas Barclay did not fulfil the residential qualification as provided in the New Zealand Rugby Union’s rule 4, to permit him to play for Hawke’s Bay, this committee upholds the protest of Wairarapa and awards the match to Wairarapa.” A threat was made that Hawke’s Bay would take the matter to the Supreme Court, but instead lodged an appeal with the Appeal Council of the New Zealand Rugby Union. That body upheld the decision of the Rugby union on 19 August, and Hawke’s Bay were instructed to send the shield to Manawhenua, Gordon Yates taking it to Palmerston North. While the question of destination of the shield was being decided, provisional matches were played by both unions. On 27 July, Hawke’s Bay played Taranaki at Nelson Park, Hastings, and the result was a draw, 8-8. A further provisional match was played on 30 July, at McLean Park, Napier, when Hawke’s Bay beat Manawhenua 16-0.

Then Wairarapa, too, played a provisional challenge by Manawhenua which became a proper challenge when the appeal council upheld the decision of the New Zealand Rugby Union and decided on 19 August that Manawhenua were the holders, they having beaten Wairarapa in this match.

Article from the book “Ranfurly Shield History ” 1960 – by A.H.Carman

A further article written in 2002 in the Book “The Shield” adding some more insight

Solway Showgrounds, Masterton, July 9, 1927

For all the fuss it created at the time, and the many words written about it in later years, the Ranfurly Shield match played between Wairarapa and Hawke’s Bay at Masterton’s Solway Showgrounds, on July 9, 1927, does appear to have a couple of ironies.

It has been enshrined in rugby folklore as “The Battle of Solway.” Yet if the evidence of three men who played in the game, Wattie Barclay, Jackie Blake and Bert Grenside, can be believed it was not a particularly dirty match.

Said Barclay, over whom the subsequent furor raged because he had not been properly qualified on residential grounds, in a 1980 interview: “It was a good hard game. l don’t think there was any ill feeling among the players I found it stupid and disappointing that a game would create such a fuss.” Said Blake: “It wasn’t the battle it has been painted.” And Grenside echoed that sentiment: “If there was any ill feeling it was among the spectators. The players remained the best of friends.” For Blake the match he’d played for the Maoris against the Springboks in 1921 was of much greater moment and much rougher with the South Africans clearly unhappy playing against players with non white blood. Blake recalled that at the kickoff one of his team-mates, Sam Gemmell, had said to him: “Jackie, we are playing for our race.”

Stan Dean initiated the Wairarapa protest

Not only was the match not excessively violent it doesn’t appear to have been an exceptional spectacle. The New Zealand Times report of the match was dismissive: “Judged by the best New Zealand standards, the display left a good deal to be desired. Hawke’s Bay did not display the machine-like passing tactics that enabled them last year to beat all comers…”

The Bay won 21-10 and so reversed the result of 36 days earlier and so the shield was returned, for the time being, to Napier and Hastings. The match, though, is special in rugby history because it is the one and only occasion in which the Ranfurly Shield has been won and lost off the field and by a protest against a breach of Rugby Union rules. It was an occasion in which the aftermath proved more dramatic and sensational than the actual match. And in the squabble which developed the two principals were two of the most powerful men New Zealand rugby has known, Norman McKenzie and Stanley Dean.

McKenzie was the architect of the Hawke’s Bay machine, one which he had built with a single minded determination and ruthlessness which often meant taking regulations to their extreme. Dean, manager of the 1924 All Blacks, was chairman of the New Zealand Rugby Union, a post he held for 25 years. Between McKenzie and Dean there was a deep personality clash and a cordial, mutual dislike.

Many of the methods McKenzie had used forming the Bay side had not met with total approval throughout New Zealand. Doubtless, much of this was due to jealousy. But there doesn’t seem much doubt that McKenzie and the Bay union were not averse to using incentives to entice star players like Bert Cooke into their area. The Bay frequently put their players into “camp,” arguing that with so many players from widely scattered areas this was essential.

Dean was the champion of those who found the Bay’s modus operandi to be questionable. That there would be trouble arising from the “Battle of Solway” was evident at the dinner on the night of the match. Dean, never a diplomat, berated the Bay‘s week long training camps, saying they were against the spirit of amateur football and the sooner they were dropped the better.

Dean, in fact, a few hours earlier had been the instigator of the controversy which would follow when at the match’s end, as Barclay was leaving the field, he pointed a finger in Barclay’s direction and urged Wairarapa officials to make a protest. In the dressing room Barclay had passed on his concerns to McKenzie who insisted that Barclay had been within the rules.

McKenzie, however, had misinterpreted the strict letter of those rules. He and his brother Ted, who was the rival coach and also secretary of the Wairarapa union, had discussed Barclay’s eligibility beforehand and had agreed on his playing. But that was on the basis of his being within a fortnight of the residential qualification. Both the brothers had overlooked that this applied only for normal provincial matches. For shield games it was for three weeks.

Wattie Barclay

Barclay, the unwitting cause of the dramas that followed, was an unlikely candidate to become the focal point of a controversy. A man of much mana in Maoridom, Barclay had lived in Dannervirke in the early 20’s and it was from there he had first represented Hawke‘s Bay. He was a veteran of World War l and for bravery had been decorated with the Military Medal. His leadership and quiet dignity saw him become captain of the Maori side which in 1926 made a momentous 40-match tour of Australia, Ceylon, England, Wales and Canada. Soon after this tour he had gone to Auckland and had played there for the College Rifles club but when a promised job had not eventuated he had returned to the Bay, where he had been immediately recalled to the representative side.

That there was uncertainty over his status was undeniable. But as the McKenzie brothers conferred on the issue 24 hours before kickoff there was also a measure of good will between the unions, which might have been a mitigating factor in the later NZRU inquiries. One NZRU member, “Dolph” Kitto, who was also a distinguished track and field official, saw it this way and argued forcibly on the Bay’s behalf that the result of the match should stand. But he was a voice in the wilderness against the Dean-led majority.

The upheld protest wasn’t the only drama caused by the match. Perhaps because passions had been aroused in the days leading up to the game there were some early skirmishes and the referee, yet another McKenzie, Bert, promptly ordered off a player from each side, Wairarapa’s Quentin Donald and the Bay’s Morrie Brownlie. While the Bay had calmly accepted their June 3 defeat by a Wairarapa side boosted by the off-season transfers of Bert Cooke and “Bull” lrvine in the immediate few weeks afterwards the climate changed suddenly. A factor in this may have been a boast by a Wairarapa player that he had put Grenside “in hospital.” Whatever the causes interest in the second match soon reached fever pitch. Special trains were dispatched to Masterton from Wellington, Dannevirke and Napier. And almost 1000 cars traveled the then primitive roads, causing dust to linger in the air for hours afterwards. There were more than 10,000 spectators jammed into a small ground, some had indulged in alcohol and twice play was stopped as some encroached too far on the playing area. It was this atmosphere which led to referee McKenzie ordering Donald and Brownlie off when, according to the New Zealand Times report, they had done no more than become entangled in each other’s arms and had glared at each other.

Each player was judged by his respective union and in each case was exonerated, with the Wairarapa union absolving Donald “without stain on his character.” Ted McKenzie, as strong a character as his brothers, was incensed he wasn’t even given token backing and resigned his many offices. Referees associations were also angry that one of their number had been snubbed and passed resolutions of condemnation. McKenzie, though, did return to the game and continued to control shield matches into the 1930’s.

The NZRU’s upholding of the Wairarapa protest was appealed by Hawke’s Bay with the appeal being lodged in a sealed envelope with instructions being given that it was not to be opened until received by the Appeal Council. This measure was seen by Dean as “petty and childish.” There was even a threat, though not carried out, of a Supreme Court injunction. As there was not much doubt that the letter of the law had been breached by the playing of Barclay the appeal was dismissed. Before the appeal had been heard there had been two versions of shield rugby conducted, with the Bay playing Taranaki and Manawhenua and Wairarapa playing Manawhenua, a combination which was to be temporary merger of Manawatu and Horowhenua. Manawhenua won this latter match and so they were ruled to be now the holders. And it was to Palmerston North that the shield was quietly delivered by a Bay player, Frik Yates.

Thus ended on a sad, turbulent note one of shield rugby’s most glorious chapters. But the legend of the mighty Magpies has never wavered and two questions have always been left lingering in the wake of the Battle of Solway. Should the letter of the law always be more important than the spirit? And if Dean knew all along of Barclay’s eligibility why did he wait till after the match to make the fact known?

Article from the book “The Shield” 2002 – by Lindsay Knight

6. July 20 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. MANAWHENUA, at Palmerston North
Won 23 to 3
Guy Booth (2), C.Stringfellow, R.T.Cundy and A.E.Cooke, tries
R.T.Cundy, 2 penalty goals and conversion.

7. July 2 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. NEW ZEALAND MAORI XV., at Masterton
Won 49 to 11
Guy Booth (2), C.Stringfellow (2), M.Parker (2), K.H.Reid, J.Hiroti, W.R.Irvine and B.Booth, tries
R.T.Cundy, penalty goal and 8 conversions
Referee:Mr.H.S.Leith (Wellington)

8. August 6 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. MANAWHENUA (Ranfurly Shield Match 86): At Showgrounds Oval, Carterton
For Manawhenua:T. Parsons, G. Persson, C. Hunt and Hone McDonald, tries
K.D.Brophy (2) and Hohepa Jacob, conversions.
For Wairarapa: I.H.Harvey, A.E.Cooke and K.H.Reid, tries
RT Cundy, penalty and 2 conversions.
Referee:C.A. Kitto (Wellington)

Played at the Carterton Showgrounds, this was a fast, open and spectacular game in which the challengers revealed themselves far superior on the day. Nevertheless, the scoring was even throughout, resulting in great excitement among the 3,000 spectators. Wairarapa scored‘ first when Stringfellow kicked over the line for Harvey to outpace Jacob and score, Cundy converting. 5-0. Cooke next intercepted a pass and went straight through to score, Cundy converting to put Wairarapa ten points up, a result not deserved on the run of play. From a forward scramble in front of the posts, Parsons got across and Brophy converted. 10-5. Then from a lineout, Persson gained possession and dived over near the posts, Brophy making it 10-all. Within two minutes of halftime, Reid secured and ran hard down the line to score. 13-10.

On resumption, Wairarapa carried the ball back on defence, and from the resulting scrum the backs handed out to Hunt, who touched down in the corner. Jacob found the posts with a fine kick. 13-15. Winger McDonald received the ball to run 25 yards down the line and cross at the corner. 13-18. Cundy with a penalty goal, made the final score 16-18, and the shield was again on the move-to Palmerston North for the first time.

Wairarapa: E. B. Booth; W. Yates; J. C. Stringfellow, G. Booth; R. T. Cundy, A. E. Cooke; J. Hiroti; J. G. Donald (capt.), K. Fairbrother, Seymour Willoughby, W. Reside, I. H. Harvey, M. Parker, K. H. Reid, W. R. Irvine. L. Williams replaced G. Booth and Q. Donald replaced J. G. Donald in the second half.

Manawhenua: M. Williamson; H. Darragh, C. Hunt, J. McDonald; K. D. Brophy, T. Parata; W. Parata; H. J. Jacob (capt.); T. Parsons,G. Payne, R. Crawford, A. Galpin, L. J. Heatley, E. Anderson, G.Persson. J. Dewe replaced Brophy just before halftime. (Selector Mr M. Winiata.)

The referee was Mr A. C. Kitto of Wellington.

Article from the book “Ranfurly Shield History ” 1960 – by A.H.Carman

9. August 1 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. TARANAKI, at Carterton
Won 19 to 6
A.E.Cooke (3), Q.Donald and M.Parker, tries
R.T.Cundy, 2 conversions
Referee: Mr.E.Perry (Wellington)

10. August 27 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. WANGANUI, at Masterton
Won 20 to 11
M.Parker (2), R.T.Cundy, J.Faulknor and C.Stringfellow, tries
R.T.Cundy, penalty goal and conversion
Referee:Mr.E.Perry (Wellington)

11. August 31 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. KING COUNTRY, at Taumarunui
Won 27 to 3
A.E.Cooke (2), C.Stringfellow, P.Ward, R.Gray, W.Ussher and J.Le Quesne, tries
F.S. Fuller (2) and J. Le Quesne, conversions

12. September 3 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. AUCKLAND, at Auckland
Lost 3 to 12
A.E. Cooke, try (penalty)

13. September 7 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. WAIKATO, at Hamilton
Lost 8 to 14
F.S.Fuller and P. Ward, tries
I.H.Harvey, conversion.

14. September 10 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. TARANAKI, at New Plymouth
Lost 8 to 12
R.T.Cundy and J. Le Quesne, tries
R.T. Cundy, conversion.


15. September 24 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. WELLINGTON, at Wellington
Won 36 to 19
C.Stringfellow (2), R.Booth, A.E.Cooke, J. Le Quesne and K.H.Reid, tries
L.Roach, dropped goal; R.T.Cundy, 2 penalty goals and 4 conversions.

Match Appearances
L.Roach Gladstone 9
F.S.Fuller Greytown 4
J.Le Quesne Mast. Old Boys 4
I.Brunton Greytown 2
R. Booth Gladstone 12
W.Yates   + Masterton 5
I.A.Hart Carterton 3
Guy Booth Gladstone 3
W.Clarke Greytown 4
S.Moore Carterton 1
J.Faulknor Mast. Old Boys 1
C.Stringfellow Greytown 14
A.E.Cooke Masterton 14
R.T.Cundy Featherston 13
L.Williams  + + Mast. Old Boys 2
J.Hiroti  + Greytown 15
E.B.Booth Gladstone 6
J.G.Donald Featherston 9
K.H.Reid Carterton 13
Sey.Willoughby Mast. Red Star 5
M.Parker Greytown 15
I.H.Harvey Masterton 13
W.Reside Gladstone 15
W.R.Irvine Carterton 12
Q.Donald *  + Featherston 11
K.McCalmont Masterton 4
K.Fairbrother Featherston 10
J.Churchouse Carterton 3
J.O’Dowd Masterton 1
P.Ward Gladstone 4
R.Gray Gladstone 1
W.Ussher Gladstone 3
B.Shackleton Mast. Red Star 1
+ A replacement during the match
* Ordered off