Back to Year by Year Index click here

WairarapaRugbyLogoWairarapa Rugby Union
(Founded , 1886 ; Original Member NZRU )
Headquarters : Masterton
Colours: Green

Played 11– Won 9 – Lost 2 – Pts For 222 – Pts Agst 135

WAIRARAPA lost the King’s Birthday match on 3 June to Hawke’s Bay, at Napier, 3-9, but beat Bush at Eketahuna on 26 June, 30-12; and Manawhenua at Palmerston North on 17 July, 12-10, before meeting the first challenge of the year at Memorial Park, Masterton, three days later.

The New Zealand team was in Australia at this stage of the season, J.C.Stringfellow, R.T.Cundy, K.H.Reid and W. Reside being Wairarapa players included.

1. June 3 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. HAWKE’S BAY, at Napier
Lost 3 to 9
A.V.Jury try

2. June 26 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. BushRugbyLogo, at Eketahuna
Won 30 to 12
A.V.Jury (2), W.Yates (2), A.E.Cooke, J.J.Mill, T.G.Corkill and K.McCalmont, tries
J.J.Mill, F.P.Fitzgerald and A.E.Cooke, conversions.

3. July 3 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. BushRugbyLogo, at Masterton
Won 29 to 0
A.E.Cooke (2), F.S.Fuller, M.W.Devine and W.Yates, tries
F.S.Fuller dropped goal and 5 conversions
Referee: Mr.H.J.McKenzie (Wairarapa)

3a. July 17 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. MANAWHENUA, at Palmerston North
Won 12 to 10
A.V.Jury, S.Willoughby and P.Burgess, tries
F.S.Fuller, penalty goal.

4. July 20 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. HAWKE’S BAY (Ranfurly Shield Match # 96), at At Cameron and Soldiers Memorial Park, Masterton.
For Wairarapa: Randall Booth and A.V.Jury, tries
F.S.Fuller, 2 conversions.
For Hawke’s Bay: L.F.South, try
J.H.Ruru, penalty.
Referee: Joseph Moffitt (Wellington).

Memorial Park, Masterton was the scene of a fast and exciting game witnessed by 12,000 spectators, both sets of backs indulging in frequent passing bouts, whilst the forwards engaged in a hard, even tussle. After 10 minutes, Jim Donald broke clear, with the forwards in support, the ball finally reaching Randall Booth who crossed at the corner, Fuller converting with a beautiful kick. 5-0. Hawke’s Bay won a lineout, the ball going from Beckett, along the line to South, each handler drawing his opposite, and South scored. 5-3. At this stage the Bay forwards were in command. Ruru kicked a penalty goal, halftime, 5-6. The green forwards played a tighter game, and heeled to Hart, who sent on for Mill to make a good opening, Cooke, Fuller and Jury carrying on for a try by the winger. Fuller converted with another beautiful kick. 10-6. At the finish the Wairarapa forwards were well on top.

Wairarapa: L.Roach, R.Booth, F.S.Fuller, A.V.Jury; J.J.Mill, A. E. Cooke (capt.), I.A.Hart; J.G.Donald; N.McGregor, Seymour Willoughby, Stanley Willoughby, I.H.Harvey, K.Fairbrother, S.Olliver, W.R.Irvine. At halftime, J.Walker replaced Olliver.

Hawke’s Bay: G.Yates, J.H.Ruru, L.J.South, J.Rei, J.Setford, P.Botherway, Becket, A.McKay, S.W.Gemmell (capt.), W.E.Henley, N.Roach, C.Campbell, W.Wilson, J.Robinson, J.Gemmell.

A NOVEL MASCOT. [I he Hawke's Bay Rugby football representatives" mascot at the Ranfurly Shield match at Masterton?
A NOVEL MASCOT. The Hawke’s Bay Rugby football representatives” mascot at the Ranfurly Shield match at Masterton?

The referee was Mr J. Moffitt of Wellington.

The challengers had two men in Australia, wing threequarter, B.A.Grenside, and lock, E.R.G.Steere, W.E.Henley left shortly after this match for Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar where he gained his Blue in 1929-30-31. Jimmy Rei was at Te Aute College.

This was Jimmy Mill’s 100th first-class match.


Article from the book “Ranfurly Shield History ” 1960 – by A.H.Carman

5. August 10 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. AUCKLAND (Ranfurly Shield Match # 97), At Showgrounds Oval, Carterton.
For Wairarapa: W.R.Irvine, try
F.S.Fuller, 4 penalties and conversion.
For Auckland: K.D.Anderson, L.S.Hook, F.W.Lucas and P.C.Minns, tries
R.G.Bush, conversion.
Referee: H.G. Whittington (Taranaki).

Under conditions made to order, 10,000 people at the Carterton Showgrounds were given a disappointing game of poor standard, with play largely confined to the forwards. Wairarapa had their strongest possible team on the field (apart from W. Reside who was injured), but there was little difference between the teams. Fred Fuller won the game with his 14 points out of the 17, four penalties and a conversion to Auckland’s four tries. Two penalties by Fuller, to a try by Anderson, which Bush converted, made the halftime score 6-5. Fifteen minutes later Irvine scored the shield-holders’ only try, after Harvey had sent the ball out from a lineout, Fuller converting. 11-5. Fuller kicked a penalty. 14-5. Jamieson booted through, and when Roach fumbled, Fuller and Hook chased the ball, the latter diving to score. 14-8. Then Lucas snapped up a bad pass from Mill on the blindside, and dodging Roach, raced over near the posts. Corner’s kick hit an upright. 14-11. Fuller kicked his fourth penalty. 17-11. With ten minutes to go, Auckland were pressing hard. With but two minutes left the whole backline functioned in a spectacular movement, the ball going from Corner out to Lucas, who returned infield after a dodgy run, to Jamieson to Bush to Minns, for the latter to touch down in the corner, but Bush missed the kick. 17-14.

Wairarapa: L.Roach, R.Booth, J.C.Stringfellow, F.S.Fuller, A.E.Cooke (capt.), R.T.Cundy, J.J.Mill, J.G.Donald, N.McGregor, S.Olliver, Seymour Willoughby, I.H.Harvey, Stan Willoughby, K.H.Reid, W.R.Irvine.

Auckland: V.C.Butler, F.W.Lucas, R.G.Bush, P.C.Minns, C.Cammick, A.Jamieson, M.N.N.Corner, L.S.Hook, L.R.Knight, I.Cathcart, K.D.Anderson, A.Knight, W.Batty, S.Hadley, A.Finlayson.

The referee was Mr.H.G.Whittington of Taranaki.

P. C. Minns, who represented North Island at the end of this season, then went to Oxford University where he gained his Blue in 1930-31-32.

It will be noted that 16 New Zealand representatives were on the field, nine for Wairarapa and seven for Auckland. The New Zealand University team this season had included Minns, Bush and Anderson (of Auckland).

Article from the book “Ranfurly Shield History ” 1960 – by A.H.Carman

6. August 17 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. MANAWHENUA (Ranfurly Shield Match # 98), At Cameron and Soldiers Memorial Park, Masterton.
For Wairarapa: A.E.Cooke (2), J.J.Mill, R.T.Cundy, F.S.Fuller, J.C.Stringfellow, T.G.Corkill and J.G.Donald, tries
R.T.Cundy, penalty; R.T.Cundy, (3) and F.S.Fuller (2), conversions.
For Manawhenua: W.Parata, T.Parata and T.Miles, tries
E. Fletcher, penalty and 2 conversions.
Referee: T.A. Fletcher (Wellington).

A week later at Memorial Park, Masterton, on a ground in perfect order, the shield-holders experienced little difficulty in withstanding Manawhenua’s challenge. The forwards were evenly matched, but with Cooke and Mill in brilliant form the Wairarapa backs were far superior. An awkward wind, which favoured Manawhenua in the first spell, gave a big advantage, 13 of the challenger’s 16 points being scored in the first spell. Scorers in the first spell were Fletcher, a penalty and the conversion of Parsons’ try for the challengers; and Mill and Cooke tries, Fuller’s conversion of Cooke’s try for the holders. 8-all. Cooke’s try was a brilliant solo effort. Just before halftime, Miles scored and Fletcher converted.

Wairarapa, after securing eight points against the wind, added a further 29 with it. After Cundy had scored a try, T.Parata bullocked his way across. 11-16. Tries followed by Fuller, Donald, Corkill, Cooke and Stringfellow, Fuller converting the second, and Cundy the last three as well as placing a penalty goal.

Wairarapa: Changes from the previous match were R. T. Cundy on the wing in place of Booth, T. G. Corkill going to second five-eighth; and W. Reside* at the back of the scrum, Olliver taking Irvine’s place as hooker.

Manawhenua: Metu Johnson; M.Strange, E.Fletcher, R.Page; G.Riddell, L.Bevan; W.Parata; T.Parata; L.Dalziell, T.Miles, D.Tatana (capt.), L.Conrad, T.Parsons, R.Crawford, J.Summers.

At halftime, N.Bramwell replaced W.Parata.

The referee was Mr T. A. Fletcher of Wellington.

Article from the book “Ranfurly Shield History ” 1960 – by A.H.Carman

7. August 28 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. CANTERBURY (Ranfurly Shield Match # 99), At Cameron and Soldiers Memorial Park, Masterton.
For Wairarapa: Stanley Willougby, W.R. Irvine and R.T. Cundy, tries
A.E.Cooke, dropped goal (counted 4 points); F.S.Fuller and R.T.Cundy, conversions.
For Canterbury: J.T.Robinson and G.F.Hart, tries; D.M.Hay, dropped goal (counted 4 points); H.T.Lilburne, conversion.
Referee: Joseph Moffitt (Wellington).

Memorial Park, Masterton, was in perfect condition, and a midweek crowd of 8,000 was rewarded with a very fast game of constructive football. Once again, the dominant factor was Bert Cooke’s genius. Contrary to expectation the Canterbury forwards were better than their backs. A forward dribbling rush ended with Reid picking up and sending Stan Willoughby across in the corner. Fuller converted. 5-0. The Canterbury forwards retaliated with a short passing rush, Toby Robinson scoring and Lilburne converting. 5-all. This was the position at halftime. Then, receiving from a scrum, Cooke drop kicked a goal. 9-5. Hart picked up the ball and outpaced the opposition in a fine run down the line. Kicking over Roach’s head he raced Mill to the touchdown. Steel missed the kick. 9-8. With 20 minutes gone, Mill passed from a scrum on the 25 to Cooke to Cundy, who returned infield to Stringfellow, who dropped the ball. Irvine was there and bullocked his way over. 12-8. From a lineout, Mill passed to Donald to Cooke, who beat his man and sent on to Stringfellow, who also beat a man and let Cundy race over and convert his own try. 17-8. In the closing stages, Hay received from a lineout and potted a goal. 17-12.

Wairarapa: The only change from the last match was the return of W. R. Irvine* to displace Olliver, this giving the greens 11 All Blacks in the XV.

Canterbury: J.H.Harris, G.F.Hart, S.R.Carleton, J.Steel, C.J.Oliver*, I-I. T. Lilburne (capt.), T. F. Mullan; G. Scrimshaw, T. P. “Toby” Robinson, D. Manning, S. Baird, C. Anderson, J. E. Manchester, A. I. Cottrell*, J. T. Burrows‘. At halftime D. M. Hay took Lilburne’s place, and later W. Thompson replaced Baird.

The referee was Mr J. Moffitt of Wellington.

This XV included nine All Blacks, four of whom, together with W.C.Dalley, had been to Australia with the New Zealand side earlier this year.

Article from the book “Ranfurly Shield History ” 1960 – by A.H.Carman

8. August 21 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. SOUTHLAND (Ranfurly Shield Match # 100) At Showgrounds Oval, Carterton.
For Southland: B.A.Mahoney and R.M.Bird, tries
G. Porter, dropped goal [counted 4 points), goal from a Mark and 2 penalties.
For Wairarapa: J.C.Stringfellow, 2 tries;
F.S.Fuller, dropped goal (counted 4 points); R.T.Cundy and F.S.Fuller, penalties.
Referee: T.A. Fletcher (Wellington).


It was thought that, having overcome Auckland and Canterbury, Wairarapa would now finish the season with the shield. This confidence could have been largely responsible for the defeat that now removed the trophy. Over-confidence has before now cost many a game. In addition, the bustling tactics of the challengers put Cooke completely of his game, and on the day Southland well deserved their victory. Even so, “Gil” Porter was responsible for 13 of the winners’ 19 points with his goal-kicking, each side scoring two tries. Southland were on tour, and after drawing 9-all with Otago, had lost 14-17 to South Canterbury, 3-21 to Canterbury and 7-35 to Wellington, prior to the shield fixture. In addition, it was expected that Bert Geddes, Bill Hazlett and Charlie Diack would join the team for this game, but they failed to arrive. The game was played at Carterton Showgrounds.

Before Wairarapa quite knew how it happened they were ten points down. First Porter marked and kicked a goal from ten yards inside half-way. Three minutes later he added a penalty goal, and then Holden received from a quick heel and whipped the ball to Porter who drop kicked a goal. 0-10. Fuller reduced the lead with a penalty goal, and then from a scrum at halfway Mill set the backs alight. Stringfellow cut in and raced over well out. 6-10. Just before halftime, Townsend raced through on his own when receiving the ball from a lineout, Mahoney carrying on to score in the corner. Porter’s kick hit a post. 6-13. On resumption, Fuller potted and Cundy kicked a penalty to draw level. 13-all. Porter a penalty. 13-16. McKenzie sent from a lineout to Holden to Porter, who cut in brilliantly but lost the ball. Bird picked it up and threw himself over. 13-19. Wairarapa now woke up and realized their danger. For the last fifteen minutes the green forwards were truly great, and launched attack after attack. From a lineout on the 25, Mill sent along to Stringfellow who ran through to score in a good position, but Fuller missed. 16-19, and eight minutes to go. The play was hectic, excitement was intense. Southland couldn’t get free, but defended desperately until the final whistle signaled victory to the Southerners.

The 100th shield match and a change of ownership.

Wairarapa: The same XV as against Canterbury three days earlier.

Southland: W.H.Norris, C.L.Stubbs, F.J.Townsend, F.Anderson,G.Porter, R.J.Bell (capt.), A. W. Holden, B.Mahoney, R.M.Bird, T.C.Metcalfe, I.T.Galt, G.B.Purdue, H.McKenzie, D.Agnew,V.L.George.

The referee was Mr T. A. Fletcher of Wellington.

Article from the book “Ranfurly Shield History ” 1960 – by A.H.Carman

9. September 7 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. OTAGO, at Masterton
Won 30 to 19
A.E.Cooke (2), I.H.Harvey, F.S.Fuller and R.T.Cundy, tries
A.E.Cooke, dropped goal; F.S.Fuller, penalty goal and 4 conversions.
Referee: Mr.W.A.Grantham (Wairarapa).

10. September 21 WairarapaRugbyLogo v. WANGANUI, at Wanganui
Won 21 to 18
F.S.Fuller, K.H.Reid, J.J.Mill and A.E.Cooke, tries
F.S.Fuller, penalty goal and 3 conversions.

In playing 14 shield matches in 1927-1929 for 12 victories and two losses, Wairarapa compiled 322 points to 159.

This total comprised 63 tries, 38 conversions, 15 penalty goals and 3 dropped goals.

The leading scorers were:

Games Tries Con. P.G. D.G. Pts.
R.T.Cundy 12 4 25 9 89
A.E.Cooke 13 10 6 1 46
F.S.Fuller 5 1 6 5 1 34
W.Yates 8 7 1 1 26
J.C.Stringfellow 13 8 24

Fuller was Greytown club and Yates Masterton Old Boys. Clinton Stringfellow (Greytown), Bert Cooke (Masterton Old Boys), and Seymour Willoughby (Masterton Red Star) missed only one game each whilst engaged elsewhere, playing in 13 matches each. Rewi Cundy (Featherston and Greytown) played in 12; Lance Roach (Gladstone), W.Reside (Gladstone) and Keith Reid (Carterton) played in 11 each, and Jim Donald (Featherston and Greytown) and N.McGregor (Gladstone) in 10 each.

Match Appearances
F.P.Fitzgerald Carterton 3
W.Henderson Carterton 1
L.Roach Mast. Old Boys 7
P.Burgess Carterton 1
R.Booth Gladstone 5
A.V.Jury Greytown 5
W.Yates Mast. Old Boys 2
F.S.Fuller Greytown 10
C.Stringfellow Greytown 6
A.E.Cooke Mast. Old Boys 10
J.Denby Carterton 1
T.G.Corkill Mast.Red Star 7
J.J.Mill Masterton 10
I.A.Hart Carterton 4
R.T.Cundy Greytown 5
J.G.Donald Greytown 7
N.McGregor Gladstone 10
Seymour Willoughby Mast.Red Star 10
Stanley Willoughby Masterton 11
W.R.Irvine Carterton 4
John Walker  + Gladstone 4
K.G.Fairbrother Carterton 5
S.Best Greytown 1
J.Churchouse Carterton 2
S.Olliver Carterton 8
K.McCalmont Mast. Old Boys 2
J.Le Quesne Mast. Old Boys 3
M.W.Devine + Mast.Red Star 4
S.Waanga Gladstone 1
K.H.Reid Carterton 6
W.Reside Gladstone 5
I.H.Harvey Masterton 7
+ A replacement during the match