We hope you enjoy this look back as we look forward to many more years of recording the history of Wairarapa Bush Rugby Union.We acknowledge all the information from the NZ “Rugby Almanack”Series from the season’s 1934 through to 2015 and appreciate their hard and dedicated work in providing this detailed history. Web Admin

Acknowledgments to the NZ Rugby Almanack Franchise:

Back to Year by Year Index click here




1982 Status:
First Division
Founded 1886 – Affiliated 1893 – Amalgamated 1971
Mr B.J.Lochore
Main ground:
Memorial Park , Masterton
Green and Red

One of the success stories of 1982 was the manner in which the promoted Wairarapa-Bush side met the challenge of the top division. After drawing their first fixture with the 1981 Champions, Wellington, no small feat, they had the set back of losing the next three matches to Hawke’s Bay, North Auckland and Auckland, but came back to defeat Waikato, Bay of Plenty and Otago. They suffered several heavy defeats, especially the 6-51 loss to a rampant Canterbury side in the Ranfurly Shield Challenge. A very youthful team, they should improve over the next few years if they can retain their players. Brian Lochore called on only 24 players and they played fast open football. The captain, Gary McGlashan was an expert hooker and had as his front-row supports, the experienced 36 year old Bill Rowlands and the powerful Chris Kapene. The loss of ex-All Black, Mike McCool was a serious setback but 20 year old Andy Earl played like a veteran, and could go much further. After 2l year old Gary Rolston had stepped into the breach, Brian Higginson, brother of All Black Graeme Higginson, who had last represented in l980, saw out the season as a strong scrummager. Probably the best forward was Paul Hawkins, 23 year old flanker who had last represented also in 1980, a lively eager player. The other outstanding forward was the No. 8, 22 year-old Carl Baker, a fine all-round loose forward. Merve Dudley was the other flank forward.

Graeme Anderson was a sound reliable half with a good understanding with the eager 21 year old Bernard Lett, a most promising player. The Bracewell brothers were enterprising and useful all-round backs. The 22 year-old Charlie Kaka was outstanding, a strong runner and sound tackler. Greg Karaitiana was a good hard running winger with Mike Cornford also a strong attacker, both solid tacklers. Elder brother Wayne Karaitana made his debut and proved a good winger. Neil Kjestrup remained a sound custodian, safe under the high ball, a solid tackler, and eager to attack. S. J. Hurley had represented Taranaki in 1981.

A. E. Earl and P. D. Rutene were New Zealand Colts, though the latter did not represent his Union this year. C. D. Baker played for New Zealand Juniors, and also appeared in the Prince of Wales Cup match and for New Zealand Maoris.

Played 14, Won 6, Drawn 1, Lost 7
Points: For 204, Against 265
May 26 v. Wellington* at Memorial Park, Masterton
Drawn 9-9
C. D. Baker try
D. W. Bracewell conversion, M. A. Bracewell dropped goal
Referee: Mr G.Smith (Hawke’s Bay).
June 7 v. Hawke’s Bay* at Hastings
Lost 3-21
C. H. Kaka penalty goal
June 29 v. New Zealand Juniors at Memorial Park, Masterton
Lost 12-13
C. H.Kaka try, 2 penalty goals and conversion
Referee: Mr G. L. Harrison (Wellington)
July 31 v. North Auckland* at Whangarei
Lost 3-28
D. W. Bracewell penalty goal.
August 4 v. Auckland* at Auckland
Lost 6-46
S. J. Hurley 2 penalty goals.
August 7 v. Waikato* at Hamilton
Won 19-15
G. W. Anderson, A. E. Earl and M. J. Dudley tries
S. J . Hurley and C. H. Kaka conversions. S. J. Hurley penalty goal
August 15 v. Counties* at Memorial Park, Masterton
Lost 11-12
G. Karaitiana  2 tries
C. H. Kaka penalty goal
Referee: Mr W. Bringans (Wellington)
August 24 v. Bay of Plenty* at Memorial Park, Masterton
Won 16-3
A. E. Earl and P. H. Hawkins tries
C. H. Kaka 2 penalty goals and a conversion
Referee: Mr I.Clarke (Manawatu)
August 29 v. King Country at Rugby Park, Pahiatua
Won 12-9
C. H. Kaka (3) and S. J. Hurley penalty goals
Referee: Mr K. Hannan (Wairarapa-Bush)
September 8 v. Otago* at Memorial Park, Masterton
Won 12-10
C. D. Baker try
C. H. Kaka 2 penalty goals and a conversion
Referee: Mr C. Dainty (Wellington)
September 14 v. Manawatu* at Memorial Park, Masterton
Lost 14-24
G. Karaitana and M. J. Dudley tries
C. H. Kaka 2 penalty goals.
September 18 v. Horowhenua at Levin
Won 45-12
C. D. Baker (2), C. C. Kapene (2), P. H. Hawkins, M. E. Cornford and W. H. Karaitana tries
D. W. Bracewell dropped goal, S. J. Hurley 2 penalty goals and 4 conversions.
September 22 v. N.Z. Combined Services at Memorial Park, Masterton
Won 36-12
W. H. Karaitiana (2), M. E. Cornford, G. W. Anderson, P. H. Hawkins, J.G. Wyeth and R. B. Playle tries
S. J. Hurley 4 conversions
Referee: Mr R.C.Francis (Wairarapa-Bush)
September 29 v. Canterbury* (Ranfurly Shield) at Christchurch
Lost 6-51
S. J.Hurley and D. W. Bracewell penalty goals.
Referee: Mr C. Dainty (Wellington)
* National first  division fixture



Wairarapa Bush REPRESENTATIVES 1982 {Total Games}
G.W.Anderson (Eketahuna) 10
C.D.Baker (Martinborough) 10
S.J.Bignell (Masterton) 1
D.W.Bracewell (Pioneer) 14
M.A.Bracewell (Pioneer) 14
M.E.Cornford (Masterton) 13
M.J.Dudley (Masterton) 11
A.E.Earl (Tuhirangi) 13
P.H.Hawkins (Martinborough) 13
B.G.Higginson (Martinborough) 9
S.J.Hurley (Masterton) 7
C.H.Kaka (Martinborough) 12
C.C.Kapene (Martinborough) 13
G.I.Karaitiana (Masterton) 12
W.H.Karaitiana (Masterton) 6
N.F.Kjestrup (Gladstone) 12
B.J.Lett (Carterton) 6
M.J.McCool (Pongaroa, Puketoi S.O.) 3
G.K.McGlashan (Red Star) 12
R.B.Playle (Carterton) 5
G.I.Rolston (Eketahuna) 6
W.N.Rowlands (Red Star) 10
S.R.Thompson (Gladstone) 3
J.G.Wyeth (Masterton) 7