Extended Farriers Wairarapa Bush announcement
PRESS RELEASE: Farriers Wairarapa Bush Training Squad
(Final Squad Announcement 15th August 2016)
Strong squad named for initial training camp
Farriers Wairarapa-Bush coach Josh Syms is excited about the squad that will head into a training camp in Taranaki next weekend.
Syms and co-coaches Joe Harwood and James Bruce have named a 34-player squad for the camp starting Friday which includes games against Taranaki Development and Taranaki U19’s. An additional seven players, in the mix for the Heartland campaign, were not considered for the camp because of injury or unavailability.
A further player will be added to the squad during August.
Chuffed with the pool of talent to select from Syms says Wairarapa-Bush is well placed for a strong season in the Heartland Championship. “There are significantly more players at Heartland level this season com-pared to 2015.” He says there are number of factors contributing to this, in particular a vastly improved premier one club competition.
“I think one of the aspects of the club competition this year has been its evenness. The really good players haven’t been able to make a big impression as perhaps they would have in recent seasons.”
Syms says there is also a sense of players having a lot more “hunger and desire” to play for Wairarapa-Bush. In addition, there have been some quality new arrivals to local clubs this season plus one or two ex-players have returned home. Carterton has the biggest presence in the squad with seven players. All eight premier-one clubs are represented plus senior thirds side Tuhirangi in Jimmy Boyle.
Taranaki-based Abe Haira is the Player of Origin. Also trialing are five loan players to cover areas where there is some concern over injury worries in certain positions, although only three are allowed in the final team.
FARRIERS WAIRARAPA-BUSH TRAINING SQUAD:
- Jacko Hull, Andy Humberstone, Corey McFadzean, Lachie McFadzean, Francis Muller, Daryl Pickering, Pene Rokoduguni (Carterton)
- Epeli Rayaqayaqa (East Coast)
- Robbie Anderson, BJ Campbell, Sam Gammie (Eketahuna)
- Eddie Cranston, Andrew McLean, Stu McLeod, Andrew Smith (Gladstone)
- Nicholas Hohepa, Nick Olson, Glen Walters (Greytown)
- James Goodger, Leo Eneliko (Marist)
- Blake Knight, Mana Ngaru, Viake Potoru, Tim Priest, Chris Raymond (Martinborough)
- Matt Kawana, Jonte Miller (Pioneer)
- Jimmy Boyle (Tuhirangi)
- Abe Haira (Player of Origin Taranaki)
- Izaq Foa’I (Loan Player Tasman), John Ika (Loan Player Tasman), Jamie Perigo (Loan Player Manawatu), Armyn Sanders (Loan Player Counties Manakau), Shai Wiperi (Loan Player Manawatu)
Unavailable or injured: Liam Devine, Jono Hartnell, Tim Roberts, Cam Hayton, Inia Katia, Richard Puddy, Stan Wright
Selected players are requested to assemble at the Union Rooms Memorial Park 6:15pm Monday 1st August for team meeting and then light run.
Any player not available to contact Gavin Hodder on 027 4411836 immediately.